Thursday, October 20, 2011

Fashion Statements....

There was a time when a young lady with a bust size of 34" wore a size 16... OMG! a 16! Now a young woman with a bust size of 34" wears a very petite size in the single digit.

Now we are free from girdles & panty hose and torpedo bras.... free to wear what ever we want! My problem is... am I trying to find my inner farm girl or my inner Diva? lol!

In the 50's when I was a little girl,,,, wearing a petticoat was the norm....and the fuller the more fun to twirl in....then somewhere along the way I grew up, in the late '60's & early '70's...and the Hippie movement was on! No more bras, girdles or petticoats.... Now here I am, full circle, wearing petticoats again,,,and re-kindleing the fun I had.

Hubby & I enjoying our first Winter up here in Washington.... ya ya, I know,,, you can take the kids outta California,,,but you can't take the California outta the kids! And yes,,, it was Cold!

I'll bet there are a lot of very happy guys out there that this is no longer the fashion for them!

Farm girl style and aprons... a perfect outfit for a perfect afternoon with farm girl friends.

More farm girl style at a wonderful shop in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho called the 'Maryjane Farm Store'.

Perfect western jacket for a perfect ride up in Wenatchee, Washington. Wearing my 'Brighton' sunglasses was the perfect touch! Did you know 'Brighton' got it's early start in western leads, bridles, reins and then belts, handbags and now jewelry and shoes? Ok, so maybe wearing your P.J.'s out in public in the suburbs isn't the norm but up at GirlCamp on the Elk River....well, don't be surprise to see me riding around camp in my P.J.'s. lol!



Boots & hats, the perfect match for a warm country day....


My beautiful mother, 76 years young, wearing a traditional modern German Dirndl.... I hope I can look this wonderful when I am her age.


Just a little over a 100 years ago, women wore very fitted garments... The average woman was much more petite by today's norm. And women went to great lengths to restrict the size of their waists... even to the extent of damaging their frame to achieve a 17" waist all for the sake of fashion.

Ahhhh, and my favorite fashion statement.... The Cowgirl of the 1950's.... Dale Evans.....


Did you know that the Sears & Roebuck company sold a line of Roy & Dale western play clothes complete with a holster & pistol for the boys?
So what is your fashion statement? Mine has been evolving over the past 50 years and continues to do so....maybe someday I will grow up and settle for a comfortable style, but until then,,, I will have fun being eclectic in my style.


Happy Trails to you until we meet again.....

1 comment:

  1. You are so cute Grace! Love all your pictures. You sure know how to have fun! Your mother is darling and I see you will have your youthful look for many years to come! LOVE the picture of you and Gary in the winter pic from last year! Way to cute! You have to frame it!

    I saw that you made some really cute curtains for your trailer that looked pretty easy....but are they? How did you measure them? LOVE them.

    Lots of hugs,
    Maryjane

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you....