Monday, August 20, 2012

Gardening....

 Well, here we are, near the end of August and my garden is still taking it's time....
I did get to harvest some of my Sunflowers this morning...the larger of the two has a 11" head...not the biggest that I have ever grown...but I don't think the wild birds will complain while pecking at the seeds...
 This is what I got this morning...from my garden...tomatoes, 1 cucumber and a few sweet peppers... I have 'Eary Girl' tomatoes as well,,,, but they are still orange on the vine...I suspect they will all ripen at the same time...Can we say 'Salsa'?  haha!
 Ok, when I was a little girl living with my Oma in Germany...she grew Gooseberries,,, the green ones...and I use to love to pick and eat them... So I was delighted when I found some plants at the local Nursery two years ago. What I did not know was that there was a red variety, which is what grows best up here...
However...harvesting Gooseberries is not for the thin of blood or thin of skin... these bushes have gnarly thorns! But I am willing to do battle with them for the delicious reward of a handful of berries...
 There are only a few left.....the size of grapes and red in color make them easy to spot....
 I am even willing to shed a bit of blood to get a small handful!  lol!
 OK, as some of you know... I am a California girl through and through! And that being said,,, I love Avocados...so what's a Cali gal suppose to do with an avocado seed? Why plant it of course... yeah yeah I know...Avocado trees can't grow in Washington...but for now, I'll grow it on my balcony, then into the house for the Winter...and someday when I go back home (SO.CAL) to visit my mom and sister, I'll take it with me to plant in their yard....Why do I do it? Just because I can!  :>)
Ok, speaking of seeds... I had a couple of 'Golden Delicious' apple seeds from an apple I was eating,, and thought...hmmm..... so I planted them in a small cup and one actually managed to grow! Holy Kowszers! Now I need to grow a friend for it! lol!  Hey Johnny Appleseed,,, look at what I grew!

1 comment:

I love hearing from you....